Jill has experience in healthcare claim cost evaluation, rate filing, pricing, and modeling. She has advised health plans, single- and multispecialty physician groups, hospitals, employers, and long- term care insurance companies.
More recently, Jill has focused in bringing an actuarial perspective to the field of pharmacoeconomics. Her interests in this area include budget impact modeling, benefit design, and collaborative research with other disciplines. She has participated in special-interest groups focused on bringing together producers and users of pharmacoeconomic research and spoken and written on the subject a number of times in recent years.
Jill's work in long-term care includes pricing, product development, valuations of blocks of business, filing, and large group offerings. She recently co-authored the book True Group Long-Term Care. In this book, she emphasizes methods by which employers can offer long-term care coverage in an effective and efficient fashion, using principles similar to other true group benefits such as pension.Prior to joining Milliman, Jill was part of a research team at the Institute for Behavioral Science at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Member, International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
|Presentations and publications|
- Long-Term Care Coverage: Employers' Perspective, "Milliman Health Perspectives," with Jonathan Shreve, Winter 2007
- Presentation "Issues in the Assessment of Cost-Effectiveness of New Pharmacy Technologies." Milliman Symposium, Las Vegas, Nev., March 2006
- Health-Related Quality of Life: A Pharmaceutical Outcomes Measure That Actuaries Need to Understand, "Contingencies", March/April 2006.
- Giving a Push to LTC as a Benefit: This is important to boomers who care for older relatives, "National Underwriter Life & Health-Financial Services Edition." with Jonathan Shreve, August 1, 2005
- Presentation "Cost-Effectiveness in Formulary Decision Making," Society of Actuaries Spring Health, Pension, and LTC Meeting, New Orleans, June 2005
- "Using a Life Annuity to Calculate More Accurate Medical Costs of Cost-Effectiveness Analysis," poster presented at ISPOR 10th Annual International Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 2005
- Why Group Long-Term Care Insurance is Failing Buyers, "National Underwriter Online," http://www.nationalunderwriter.com/LTC/articles/2005_04_why_group.asp, April 2005
- The Formulary Decision Process: What Are They Doing in There and Can Actuaries Help? "SOA Health Section News," with John Watkins, Kristin Reed, and Jonathan Shreve, March 2005
- Focusing on Advanced LTC Plan Design: Risks of Fully Insured and Self-Funded Coverage, "Health Insurance Underwriter," with Jonathan Shreve, March 2005
- True Group Long-Term Care: Vesting and Employer Contributions, "Benefits and Compensation Digest," with Jonathan Shreve, September 2004
- Presentation "Managed Care Overview and Trends," MCOE Managed Care Collaboration Meeting, Denver, September 2004
- "True Group Long-Term Care," published by IFEBP, with Jonathan Shreve, June 2004
- Should Employers Provide Long-Term Care Coverage? "HealthCare Quarterly," with Jonathan Shreve and Ross Winkelman, Spring 2004
- Presentation "The Formulary Decision Process: What Are They Doing in There and How Can We Help?" Society of Actuaries Spring Health, Pension, and LTC Meeting, Anaheim, May 2004
- Presentation "The Formulary Decision Process: What Kind of Information is Truly Helpful?" ISPOR 9th Annual International Meeting, Washington, D.C., May 2004
- Presentation "Pharmaco-actuarial Science: A New Perspective on an Old Budget Dilemma," AMCP 16th Annual Meeting and Showcase, San Francisco, April 2004
- Pharmacoeconomics: Why Should Actuaries Care? "SOA Health Section News," October 2002
- Pharmacoeconomics: Why Should Actuaries Care? "ISPOR Connections," with Jonathan Shreve and David White, August 2002
- Presentation "Pharmacy Issues," Society of Actuaries meeting, San Francisco, June 2002
- The Use of Pharmacoeconomics by MCOs: An Actuaries Perspective, "Drug Benefit Trends," with Jonathan Shreve and Kevin Pedlow, January 2000
- Protective Factors in Adolescent Problem Behavior: Moderator Effects and Developmental Change, "Developmental Psychology," with Richard Jessor, Judith Vanderryn, Frances Costa, and Mark Turbin, June 1995
- BA (cum laude), Psychology with honors, Davidson College
- MA, Experimental Social Psychology, University of California at Los Angeles